From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: openrc portage news item
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 13:07:32
1 On 04/30/2011 07:58 AM, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 08:03:43AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > <snip a lot of crap that is ignoring what I've been asking>
5 >
6 > Frankly getting fairly annoyed people are immediately taking it to
7 > the rhel/ubuntu extremes- that is *not* what I asked and is frankly
8 > a strawman argument. Occasional pain on upgrades is a given in
9 > gentoo, although anyone claiming we've not kept an eye on those sharp
10 > corners is delusional (versioned eapi, etc-update's very existance,
11 > portage warning on removal of a pkg in the system set, the list goes
12 > on). Hell, even the notification mechanism y'all want to use for
13 > informing is an example of trying to soften those corners were
14 > possible, rather than precluding their existance.
15 >
16 > I asked if we had looked at scripting away some of the upgrade pains.
17
18 This openrc upgrade is the *least* painful Gentoo upgrade I have
19 experienced. What a waste of time (IMO) to "script" some defaults.
20 -Jeremy
23 > It's a pretty simple fucking question requiring either a 5 second
24 > "no" or 5 minutes of "yes, heres what we looked at, they were deemed
25 > too painful". Answering that also is a helluva lot quicker then
26 > people trading barbs over "we need to release it now" or proper SA;
27 > while your retort was dead on for what folks should do, it was
28 > completely unrelated to answering the question I'm *asking*.
29 >
30 > If we didn't look into it, that's fine. Means I've got something to
31 > poke at over the weekend.
32 >
33 > If we did, and it was ruled out, awesome, I have other things on my
34 > todo list I'll poke at this weekend.
35 >
36 > ~harring