From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>, Hiroaki Etoh <ETOH@××××××.com>, robert@××××××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible Change in Glibc Versioning
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:41:21
1 On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 16:17, Travis Tilley wrote:
2
3 snipped for sanity of the people being added to the CC:
4 ...
5 ..
6 .
7
8 Wise man said careful what one rants about..
9
10 > to backpedal a bit: SSP. why is this forced onto all users of all archs
11 > regardless of whether or not they intend to use SSP?
12
13 It's in __libc_start_main() because thats where it needs it be.
14 If it's symbols were move out of there then we are looking at reopening
15 alot of bugs that are currently resolved because of it being in glibc vs
16 libgcc_s.
17
18 We are not the only distribution that does this, we were just the
19 first linux distribution ;-)
20
21 We are talking about 3 symbols here.
22 All of which if we really needed to could be worked around rather
23 trivially. Something like so if we ever wanted to remove it. But I
24 HIGHLY recommend we not even try to explore this avenue at this time.
25
26 unsigned long __guard;
27 void __stack_smash_handler() {}
28 void __guard_setup() {}
29
30 Do these symbols keep you up at night?
31
32 ..
33
34 > I dont really like this.
35 > I'd suggest a "nossp" USE flag, but at this point that isn't even possible!
36 > any removal of SSP from glibc will cause every single application on every
37 > single gentoo install to break horribly with errors about missing
38 > __guard@glibc.
41 Are you so sure of this?
42 I was not aware that a dependency on the guard
43 would be there unless you were actually using -fstack-protector or
44 -fno-stack-protector-all.
45
46 Please provide me with a valid test case that proves otherwise.
47 Allow me to demonstrate in a simple example.
48
49 solar@simple c $ cat main.c
50 int main(int argc, char **argv) { return 0; }
51
52 # Without ssp enabled.
53 solar@simple c $ gcc -fno-stack-protector main.c -o main
54 solar@simple c $ nm main | grep guard
55
56 # And with ssp.
57 solar@simple c $ gcc -fstack-protector-all main.c -o main
58 solar@simple c $ nm main | grep guard
59 U __guard@@GLIBC_2.3.2
62 > we are now dependant on it and can never move away without
63 > some seriously hardcore pain. also,
64
65 Is there a valid reason to move away from it?
66
67 Does anything else allow us to offer multi arch compiler technologies
68 (pointer, function verification) for our binaries thats stands up on
69 it's technical merits as high as ssp without a serious performance hit?
70
71 Do the research and you will probably come to the same conclusion as
72 many us have.. period point blank it rocks our socks off for prevention
73 of ret2libc attacks but it's not limited to just that.
74
75 http://www.ida.liu.se/~johwi/research_publications/paper_ndss2003_john_wilander.pdf
76 http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/269246
77
78 > it might be a bit more of a concern for
79 > embedded system users who might need to use a libc other than glibc and start
80 > off using non-static apps linked against glibc...
81
82 Peter S. Mazinger has already put this support together for uClibc.
83 In short it's not really a problem at all for embedded systems.
84 If and when a we get a report of somebody having problems with say
85 dietlibc then it's no problem to patch the stubs in there as well.
86
87 Got *libc ssp problems? Come talk to the doctor.
88
89 > but i'm not really familiar
90 > with embedded.
91
92 > there are probably many more issues here that i just havent
93 > realised yet, but for what reason were we pushed into this?
94
95 Well documented in our bugzilla..
96 Have a peek some time, search in the FIXED!
99 > Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
100 > Gentoo/AMD64 Developer
101 >
102 > --