From: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible Change in Glibc Versioning
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:18:01
1 On Friday 23 April 2004 04:17 am, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 04:18, Kumba wrote:
3 > > I was made aware in #pax of a shift in glibc's versioning mechanism.
4 > > Most by now have noticed there hasn't been a glibc-2.3.3 package
5 > > released by GNU. I don't think there will be one. Skimming some
6 > > threads on the libc-hacker mailing list, the general attitude seems to
7 > > be letting the individual distributions take snapshots and decide what
8 > > is stable and what isn't.
9
10 well then, I say we do just that. lets start by taking a new snapshot and
11 adding it to the tree for testing. the last snapshot seems to have very
12 strange problems on amd64 that are really only triggered by gtk+-2.4 with any
13 regularity. I would also like very much to start doing more serious
14 preparation for moving over to gcc 3.4.0 some months down the line, and our
15 current snapshot (and latest stable glibc on amd64) seem to not be very gcc
16 3.4 friendly (SSP in glibc 2.3.2-r9 breaks and destroys your entire install,
17 as everything will have unresolved __guard symbols, more later).
18
19 also, it seems there is some strangeness in bits/string2.h, to quote from bug
20 #48797:
21 "This is a bug in bits/string2.h in glibc: the macro definition of strpbrk()
22 expands to a ?: expression which can have a type of (char *) or NULL, which
23 in Linux is of type (void *). This is a bug as one cannot use (void *)
24 everywhere (char *) is allowable, in this instance on the LHS of the -
25 operator.
26 [...]
27 It will show up as bugs compiling packages with gcc 3.4, e.g. bug 48798."
28
29 also, due to some apps (on amd64, with glibc 2.3.3*) dying consistantly in
30 pthread_getconcurrency (), and the fact that our arch doesn't even support
31 the 2.4 kernel, i would like to know if we can make the Native Posix
32 Threading Library a default of sorts on amd64 instead of linuxthreads.
33 However, there are some problems that need to be taken care of before we
34 could do this... glibc with NPTL cannot reliably compile using headers taken
35 from the current kernel, linux-headers 2.6* are masked, and even if the 2.6
36 headers were unmasked a large number of applications simply will not compile
37 with them. i've recently fixed linux-headers 2.6.5 to compile glibc with NPTL
38 on amd64, and i think it'd be a good idea to use these patches and headers
39 from within the ebuild itself to compile NPTL on this arch. it's too much of
40 a PITA to do it any other way, and far too unreliable... i'd also like very
41 much to get NPTL working without breaking anything else.
42
43 > If the version has changed then we should probably move away from
44 > calling them pre releases. perhaps something like 2.3.X.0.YYMMDD ?
45 >
46 > > --Kumba
47
48 yeah... they're definately not pre-releases if there isn't going to be a
49 release. :-|
52 to backpedal a bit: SSP. why is this forced onto all users of all archs
53 regardless of whether or not they intend to use SSP? I dont really like this.
54 I'd suggest a "nossp" USE flag, but at this point that isn't even possible!
55 any removal of SSP from glibc will cause every single application on every
56 single gentoo install to break horribly with errors about missing
57 __guard@glibc. we are now dependant on it and can never move away without
58 some seriously hardcore pain. also, it might be a bit more of a concern for
59 embedded system users who might need to use a libc other than glibc and start
60 off using non-static apps linked against glibc... but i'm not really familiar
61 with embedded. there are probably many more issues here that i just havent
62 realised yet, but for what reason were we pushed into this?
65 Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
66 Gentoo/AMD64 Developer
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list