From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: kumba@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible Change in Glibc Versioning
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:18:00
1 On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 04:18, Kumba wrote:
2 > I was made aware in #pax of a shift in glibc's versioning mechanism.
3 > Most by now have noticed there hasn't been a glibc-2.3.3 package
4 > released by GNU. I don't think there will be one. Skimming some
5 > threads on the libc-hacker mailing list, the general attitude seems to
6 > be letting the individual distributions take snapshots and decide what
7 > is stable and what isn't.
8
9 I've got 3 changes to make to the existing 2.3.2-r10.ebuild
10
11 Tomorrow perhaps you and spanky and myself can coordinate our next glibc
12 snapshot under the newly formed toolchain@gentoo.
13
14 > I haven't fully read the threads below, but here they are if someone
15 > wants to digest them and figure out how we'll handle the versioning changes.
18 > Nov 2003:
19 > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/2003-11/msg00150.html
20 >
21 > Dec 2003:
22 > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/2003-12/msg00033.html
23 >
24 > Jan 2004:
25 > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/2004-01/msg00067.html
28 If the version has changed then we should probably move away from
29 calling them pre releases. perhaps something like 2.3.X.0.YYMMDD ?
32 > --Kumba
33 --
34 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
35 Gentoo Linux Developer