From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:21:47
1 On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 08:52 -0500, Deedra Waters wrote:
2 > I said from the beginning that I had not written up a proposal for it.
3 > Why? Because i wanted some form of discussion first so that i could get
4 > a feel for people's concerns and thoughts on it besides those who i've
5 > already talked to. Proposals are great and all, but it helps when you
6 > actually see what people expect first...
7
8 Since we are talking about a displinary process, my expectation is to
9 see a documented, open process that is as fair and balanced as we as an
10 organization can be.
11
12 I expect that the facts will be documented. I expect that the persons
13 making the decision will be as impartial as fully possible. I expect
14 that any decisons that contain adverse consequences to be well thought
15 out and documented.
16
17 When proposing to make changes to the process, I expect to see the
18 reasoning behind the changes. Frankly, all that I am seeing is
19 complaining about too much red-tape and endless meetings for a process
20 that hasn't even been used yet. I have gone back several times and
21 reread the process. There are places where I see that we can probably
22 make improvements, but I am failing to see endless meetings and red-tape
23 in the process.
24
25 A displinary process means that there are potential adverse consequences
26 involved. That means that in order to be fair and appear fair, that we
27 have to document. If members of the devrel team are unwilling to do
28 that, then frankly I don't want those members to be involved in the
29 displinary process. Is documenting things like this fun? No it is not,
30 but it is neccessary in this type of process.
31
32 Finally, to answer the inevitable question, yes I will step up to the
33 plate if asked to do so.
34
35 Regards,
36 Paul