From: Deedra Waters <dmwaters@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-devrel] RFC: quiz and mentoring periods
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:59:57
hi all,

In the devrel meeting today, we discussed the quiz, and what we came up
with  is this.

1. the current quiz will be used for the initial quiz when a new dev bug
is filed.
2. The new dev must complete a second more complicated quiz before they
are made a dev. The second quiz will be made up of ciaranm's bash quiz,
plus other material that I will get from those of you who would like to
contribute to the second quiz. (Note, the material must be documented)

This first quiz will help weed out those who are not serious about
becoming a dev.  New devs must pass both quizzes in order to become a
dev, and must pass the first quiz before they can continue with the

2. The mentoring process, (timeouts)

If a mentor does not properly mentor a dev, such as abandoning their dev
and leaving it to recruiters to mentor them,not providing their new dev
with the quizzes and related documentation, then that mentor will not be
allowed to mentor a new dev for a period suck as 2 months, If it happens
again, then the time will double to be 4 months, 8 months, and so on.

Why is this being done? Mentors should be responsible devs who are
experienced, and who want to take the time to help mentor new devs into
gentoo. Mentors should be responsible, and if they can no longer mentor
their dev for one reason or another, then they should discuss that with
recruiters so another mentor could be found for that dev.

I want people's feedback on this before this becomes official. If people
have alternative suggestions, we will concidder them if they are
reasonable suggestions. If people have none, this will go into effect
next monday.

Deedra Waters - Gentoo developer relations, accessibility and infrastructure -
Gentoo linux: