From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:42:25
Hi Mike,

Mike Doty wrote:	[Wed Sep 07 2005, 12:16:29AM EDT]
>In the end, I've read 20+ emails today on this thread, which we at >best "I don't like this", and at worst, "devrel is a conspiracy!", >yet no one has offered a solution. Put up or shut up. My >recommendation would be to merge the two groups, by expanding the >panel of "judges" from 3-5 to 5-7. This cuts out a lot of the red >tape and improves communication while still retaining a similar >number of people involved.
I'm confused by this paragraph. Nearly all the contributors to the thread provided arguments to back up their position. If some of the contributors sound shocked, I think it's because they perceive dmwaters' suggestion as gutting the recent proposal which they believe was an important step to making devrel more effective. The argument presented by dmwaters seems to be: Two committees is unnecessarily complicated and requires more people than we have. One committee per complaint should be sufficient, and will be as impartial as possible, to the extent that it can. The rebuttal seems to be: Two committees, investigative and judicial, per complaint is necessary for checks and balances. Going back to one committee reverts the progress made by the previous proposal. If I'm missing something, please let me know. I don't want to leave out a possibly-critical argument in my personal evaluation. Personally I'm in agreement with the rebuttal. From my perspective, the problem with one committee is that it's possible for a single charismatic, strong-willed individual to carry the group to their preferred conclusion. Separating investigation and judgment doesn't solve that problem completely, but it helps to mitigate it. If devrel has trouble staffing both committees from its ranks, then IMHO a call should be put out to request devs to temporary fill a role. Has that been done, and I missed it? Regards, Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-devrel] devrel meeting etc Deedra Waters <dmwaters@g.o>