From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>, dberkholz@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: okupy, a Django rewrite of www.g.o
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:48:28
On 06/02/11 12:29, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> Sure, I contacted Josh who showed much interest to my idea, and Infra > to make sure they (we) are willing to replace gorg
Hi Theo, thanks for clarification and for your reply. Too bad Josh did not pass the word along the GDP. Given how much stuff he does, I'm sure he was just swamped with work.
> Gorg currently has two very important bugs open in bugzilla.
I went through the Bugzilla [1] before I sent that mail, hence this question. Bug 336055 looks like an Apache problem (and is trivially fixable), bug 342569 is a feature of how the Gentoo-specific XSLT stylesheets work, and in no way Gorg-specific (and could be probably RESO/INVALID immediately). Looks like the only real issue is bug 315487, the compatibility with Ruby 1.9.
> We've faced a couple more recently.
Again, this is rather hard to evaluate without any evidence. I've been running Gorg on a non-Gentoo web site for years, so I do agree that it takes some effort to set up (like any other server application), but without specific references to problems, it's hard to judge how much of a troublemaker Gorg really is. I do understand your desire not to use abandoned projects -- that's a very reasonable stance.
> Nothing will change for GDP. The GuideXML will continue to exist, you > will be able to edit XML files directly as usual. There will be only > improvements here (like stats for translators, an editor, etc).
See, this is *exactly* why I wrote this mail. What are "statistics for translators"? I'm a translator myself, and nobody asked me what could help me. What translators indicated that they consider that an improvement over current way with metadoc.xml/overview.xml/trads.rb? I welcome the change to git, it's great that you're willing to undertake it, but it will surely affect the way how GDP works. Whether a WYSIWYG editor is an improvement (or would just cause troubles for translators due to line noise in diffs) is debatable IMHO, but that discussion has been already started and abandoned several times. Cheers, Jan [1] -- Trojita, a fast e-mail client --

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: okupy, a Django rewrite of www.g.o Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: okupy, a Django rewrite of www.g.o Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>