From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 17:09:18
Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Hi GDP-related entities, > as promised on IRC, here are my ideas about $SUBJECT. > > Currently we have quite a lot of "unsupported"/"invalid"/"unmaintained" > documents for one of these reasons: > > a) Third party article > b) Older Handbook > c) Translation in language which is not officially supported > d) Outdated translation > > First three cases are easily detectable, fourth can't be checked easily > ("what is outdated translation?"), AFAIK & IMHO. > > So, the proposed change is to modify the XSL stylesheet to include some > bold red warning (with proper i18n, if possible) stating that the > document is no longer/not yet/... supproted, for example: > > a) "This article is not part of the official Gentoo documentation, it > has been republished on our site only for your convenience and with > permisson of the respective copyright owner. It may not reflect current > state of things and could be outdated."
No need to hack the xsl for that, just add it at the beginning of each article like we already have the note about owners.
> b) "This Handbook is no longer maintained and is left here only for your > convenience, please don't bother with submitting bugreports. In case you > are looking for networkless installation instructions, please consult > <link>current handbook</link>."
> c) "This language is not backed up by an official Translation Team and > might be outdated or even incorrect. In doubts please consult > [link]original document[/link]."
Can only be done with a reliable document location made available to the xsl which we lack at the moment. I wish we could but at the moment, we can't really -- / Xavier Neys \_ Gentoo Documentation Project / French & Internationalisation Lead \ /\ -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents Alexey Chumakov <achumakov@×××××.com>