From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Improving organization during beta release
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:44:12
1 Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
2 > I'm for working in xxxx.y and draft/ until the stable release is done
3 > (if there is no special cases like currently). Your idea can help people
4 > to understand what a beta release for Gentoo means but please apply it
5 > along with not overwritting current handbooks until the release is
6 > stable.
7 >
8 > Maybe you can make a new 'disclaimer' value, beta_release (or whatever)
9 > and put it instead of draft, which usually refers to docs non finalized
10 > or waiting for review, which is not the case.
11
12 I, personally, hate the whole business of copying stuff to draft/ and
13 then back again. It's a pain, and there's some risk of forgetting stuff
14 or not getting it moved or forgetting to delete old files (this happened
15 once or twice with this release). That's why I dispensed with doing
16 draft/2008.0/ and just went straight to the toplevel dir.
17
18 However, draft is nice to have a workspace for committing networked HB
19 changes to make sure they don't get lost. That's the only reason I can
20 think of for not punting it entirely.
21
22 I suppose if we were on git, it'd be easier to make our commits but not
23 push them onto the final versions. Maybe. Who knows. :)
24
25 As I see it, we have a few options:
26
27 1. Keep the "draft" disclaimer for the beta handbooks, the only live
28 versions available.
29 2. Add listings for "beta" in addition to "latest stable" (really old)
30 in our index, and link to them.
31 3. Add disclaimer to TOC for beta status. Replaces(?) draft disclaimer.
32 4. Ditch the draft disclaimer, and instead just consider each handbook a
33 "release" handbook. We just use the beta stage/file/mirror names. Since
34 the only thing that's in testing is the CDs, really.
35
36 I'm all for 1, 3, or 4. My personal favorite is 4. Thoughts?