From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Improving organization during beta release
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:49:21
1 On 4/27/08, Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
2 > I, personally, hate the whole business of copying stuff to draft/ and then
3 > back again. It's a pain, and there's some risk of forgetting stuff or not
4 > getting it moved or forgetting to delete old files (this happened once or
5 > twice with this release). That's why I dispensed with doing draft/2008.0/
6 > and just went straight to the toplevel dir.
7 [...]
8 > As I see it, we have a few options:
9 >
10 > 1. Keep the "draft" disclaimer for the beta handbooks, the only live
11 > versions available.
12 > 2. Add listings for "beta" in addition to "latest stable" (really old) in
13 > our index, and link to them.
14 > 3. Add disclaimer to TOC for beta status. Replaces(?) draft disclaimer.
15 > 4. Ditch the draft disclaimer, and instead just consider each handbook a
16 > "release" handbook. We just use the beta stage/file/mirror names. Since the
17 > only thing that's in testing is the CDs, really.
18 >
19 > I'm all for 1, 3, or 4. My personal favorite is 4. Thoughts?
20
21 Mine is 4 as well. The "2008_beta" handbook for GDP is a "production"
22 handbook - the release is publically available and all the disclaimers
23 for the _beta release should automatically apply to its documentation
24 as well.
25
26 If you use 2008_beta, you definitely expect that the handbooks can
27 contain some minor bugs as well. If you don't want to use the _beta,
28 you're still free to use the 2007 release media (including docs).
29 Releng doesn't "support" 2007.0 (i.e. there will not be a 2007 fix) so
30 afaik, 2007.0 for releng is also unmaintained. Why keep the
31 documentation officially maintained then?
32
33 After all, the (Internet-less) documentation is tied to the release...
34
35 Wkr,
36 Sven Vermeulen
37 --