From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Handbook restructuring proposal
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 20:01:22
1 Hey guys. I've got some more movin' and shakin' ideas to improve how we
2 do the handbooks. This stems from a recent conversation I had with
3 robbat2 on how git could be used instead of CVS. No, I'm not proposing
4 that. That's another topic altogether. :)
5
6 As you know, we maintain two handbooks:
7 networked: /doc/$LANG/handbook/
8 networkless: /doc/$LANG/handbook/$RELEASE/
9
10 None of us are entirely happy about the counterintuitive naming, so I
11 have a suggestion that will:
12 1. give our handbooks better names
13 2. improve the archives
14 3. *greatly* ease the development of new handbooks at release time
15
16 My proposal is this:
17 networked: /doc/$LANG/handbook/$RELEASE-net/
18 networkless: /doc/$LANG/handbook/$RELEASE-nonet/
19
20 How does this help?
21 1. It's obvious which handbook is for what, and it retains the release name.
22 2. Now we can archive the networked handbook, which is appropriate as
23 the old media is still available.
24 3. No more copying stuff back and forth from draft/ to any other
25 directory. When it's time for a new release, copy the stuff to the new
26 $RELEASE-net/ or -nonet/ directory. Add a single draft disclaimer to the
27 appropriate TOC, and you're done. At release time remove the disclaimer
28 and add one to the previous handbooks, making sure to now link the
29 $RELEASE-foo/ in the index.
30
31 Speaking of index, right now index.xml is in handbook/ . With the
32 proposed new structure, we still keep it in that TLD. It just points to
33 various directories anyway.
34
35 Included files are another matter. Right now, files in
36 handbook/$RELEASE/ point one level up, to handbook/included.xml. We
37 would probably have to put the included content in each dir, one for
38 $RELEASE-net/ and one for $RELEASE-nonet/. This is because old archived
39 handbooks need static content; if we were to keep them pointing to
40 handbook/included.xml, this could be bad.
41
42 Plus, it's conceivable that the networked or networkless handbooks might
43 need different includes, so it makes sense to keep them all in their
44 same dir. Again, this will help when it comes time to archive them.
45
46 To sum up:
47 handbook/2008.1-net/
48 handbook/2008.1-nonet/