From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Portage per-package environment/behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 09:31:46
Joshua Saddler posted on Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:13:59 -0800 as excerpted:

> per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage > feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have been > actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs closed RESO > WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been detected. as such, we > shouldn't be documenting how to do it.
You are correct that it used to be that way, but isn't that what emerge --info <pkg> was designed to fix and why portage's error messages are far more specific now about both that and various log files that should be posted than they used to be? -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman