From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:20:37
On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 16:17 +0200, Flammie Pirinen wrote:
> 2005-11-06, Sven Vermeulen sanoi, jotta: > > > The Gentoo Release Engineering team is pushing us to remove stage1 and > > stage2 references from the Gentoo Handbook. They are getting too many > > errors because the user is not able to fully comprehend the > > implications of a stage1 or stage2 installation. > > Hmm, I'd like it, if we also (re)moved stage1 and stage2 from visible > directory, and renamed stage3 to something more appropriate by the > 2006.0. I mean, it will probably be confusing for a new user if the > guide just says "Oh, we have this things that say 1 and 2 in the > directory, but please ignore them and start from 3, because 1 and 2 are > only for devs, k?" And it won't help, that old users will most likely > continue to advice for stage 1 in so many support channels.
I'm not sure if the removal of stages 1 and 2 will happen in time for 2006.0, simply because it is a *very* heated issue and one that will take some serious politics to get enacted. I guarantee that I won't be a popular guy. *grin* If it were up to me, I would not have stage1 or stage2 on the mirrors, at all. I would probably have a stage1 tarball on bittorrent, simply because there are uses for a stage1 tarball, just not uses many people consider. For example, supporting a new platform. It isn't quite as useful for normal installations, though. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook Gregorio Guidi <greg_g@g.o>