From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others.
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:32:22
Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
> @Dale - I think that XORG (xserver) ebuild should check SYSVIPC is > enabled and push some warnings on the screen like: > > --- > * Warning: SYSVIPC in your kernel configuration is not enabled. Some > drivers like nVidia properitary drivers > * depend on it and will not function properly when SYSVIPC disabled. > Please enable SYSVIPC to build and load > * that drivers. > --- > > or better push an error when building. As drivers still evaluate we > don't know what developer of some company will include Inter Process > Communication in projects and final builds of drivers. > > Is there way to patch any kernel (like gentoo-sources) emerged with > Gentoo to enable this flag by default and set this as constant that > cannot be changed by user? > > Mat. >
That sounds like a good idea too. I don't want this to fall between the cracks. Has someone decided what should be done and taken steps to make sure it is done? I didn't file a bug report because I don't know what all else this will affect. I read it affects more than just video drivers. According to someone else, there are some packages that benefit/need this as well. I just don't want someone else to go through what I did. I even bought a new monitor because I thought it was messed up or something. Thanks. Dale :-) :-)