From: "José Fournier" <jaaf.forums@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Date problem
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:04:48
1 On 02/27/13 14:42, Tobias Heinlein wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 27.02.2013 07:26, José Fournier wrote:
5 >> My question is why this discrepancy ? The files are the same, the
6 >> version and date tags are identical [..]
7 >
8 > Yes, the version and date tags of the file you mentioned
9 > (hb-install-x86+amd64-medium.xml) are identical. But if you append
10 > "&passthru" to the URL, e.g. :
11 >
12 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=2&passthru
15 > you can see that there are other files involved as well. The XML code
16 > you get there is from doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml which has
17 > <date>2013-02-11</date>. That's the date the warning talks about.
18 >
19 > You get the warning because doc/fr/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml wasn't
20 > updated yet: It has <date>2010-07-19</date>. However, the date displayed
21 > on the french webpage is indeed the date from
22 > doc/fr/handbook/hb-install-x86+amd64-medium.xml. I suppose the date that
23 > appears on the rendered page is the newest one of the dates of all the
24 > files that are involved, thus ensuring that *every* part is updated.
25 >
26 > Regards,
27 > Tobias
30 Hi Tobias,
31
32 Thank you very much for answering.
33 If I understand well what you are saying the warning doesn't work on a
34 per page basis, but rather on a per book basis.
35 Despite this I still have trouble understanding the strangeness of the
36 dates that appear even on my local copy where a larger amount of file is
37 updated (including doc/fr/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml). I think that
38 with time I will grasp the mechanism better thanks to your remark.
39
40 Whatever it is, this seems to mean that, from the user point of view, it
41 is impossible to trust a translated page, even important, as long as, a
42 trivial detail on one page of all the book is not translated. Rather
43 difficult, if my understanding is good, for a translator to convey
44 confidence to his readers !
45
46 Regards
47