From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Handbook restructuring proposal
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 14:55:58
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> posted 481B730A.5090904@g.o,
3 > excerpted below, on Fri, 02 May 2008 13:01:14 -0700:
4 >
5 >> 1. It's obvious which handbook is for what, and it retains the release
6 >> name.
7 >
8 > This is something that had bugged me for quite awhile. Trying to help
9 > when people refer to "the handbook" is made needlessly complicated, due
10 > to having to try to figure out /which/ handbook, and the confusion if
11 > people aren't referring to the same one.
12 >
13 > So ++ from this user! =8^)
14 >
15 > I'd still prefer merging them to the same "handbook" URL, tho, with
16 > separate parts for networked and networkless installation. It would then
17 > be clear that the other parts (Working with Portage, etc) are the same
18 > and in general eliminate the possibility of folks seeing only one and
19 > believing that's the "mainline" method of installation, even if they do
20 > see the mention of and link to the other.
24 This sounds very reasonable. Maybe just one handbook, with a button on
25 each page that is "silk-screened" with the current architecture one is
26 reading about. If one wants to switch from the ppc version to the
27 amd64, just put your mouse over these silk-screen and a popup appears
28 where they can switch to another architecture.
29
30 If, for what ever reason we need to have multiple revisions of the
31 handbook (say 2007.0, 2008.0 2008.1) for example, then the version
32 number could also be an option in the popup menu. If you want to keep
33 an old versions of the handbook around, for whatever reason, but
34 you do not want folks to really use them, then use a pastel
35 (background) water-mark that used a meaningful keyword, such as
36 "deprecated" or such. The popup could be replace with any of a varity
37 of functionally equivalent interface buttons. The ideas is one
38 document with a button to make switching between architectures,
39 revisions, and such, a singular function. Then when somebody refers to
40 the handbook, they can site the section number and the arch (which is
41 usually understood, and possible the revision number.
44 These are only ideas, nothing that I'm hardened on as ideas. However,
45 consolidation of documents into a minimalistic form is good for
46 everyone, methinks.
49 James
50 --
51 gentoo-doc@l.g.o mailing list