From: Josh <jackdark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Regarding handbook/draft/complete
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:06:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 This sounds intriguing. Certainly wireless networking and nVidia graphics cards
5 will still be around; I'll look into contributing something in those areas, as
6 they have always fascinated me (and sometimes been informative, aggravating
7 tasks to properly set up!). Best of luck, and thanks for the great material so
8 far. :)
9
10 PS: Though the very idea of an "in-print" Gentoo book is in many ways absurd, as
11 Gentoo is unique among Linux distros for its generally faster-paced, evolving
12 nature, these draft handbooks present the best possible approach to actually
13 publishing a "dead tree" Gentoo guide--something that would be a first for the
14 distro, AFAIK. Given Gentoo's rapidly changing nature (e.g. fundamental pieces
15 like Portage and baselayout), the need for a paper Gentoo book might seem
16 obviated. But I'm strangely attracted to the idea. It seems more doable now that
17 the draft handbooks have less of a specific Gentoo emphasis. I'd certainly be
18 interested in seeing Gentoo documentation in print!
22 Sven Vermeulen wrote:
23 > Hi all,
24 >
25 > Some of you might have noticed that I committed a lot of new files in the
26 > CVS repo under [gentoo]/xml/htdocs/doc/en/handbook/draft/complete. What
27 > you see there is an idea I had regarding the/a Gentoo Handbook which
28 > focusses on something entirely different from our current Gentoo Handbook.
29 >
30 > Currently, the Gentoo Handbook is meant to provide Gentoo-specific, static
31 > information to the end user. Such information, like the installation
32 > instructions, Portage stuff, init scripts, ... is not interesting for
33 > non-Gentoo users. Even more, Gentoo users only have "limited" need of this
34 > document: it only contains the Gentoo-specific aspects.
35 >
36 > That isn't a bad thing. It keeps the documentation coherent and easier to
37 > maintain, something we noticed over the last few months where handbook
38 > changes have become less and less frequent. However, many users are
39 > missing a Gentoo-centered Linux-general document.
40 >
41 > This is what the new draft attempts to become: a full handbook covering
42 > various technologies that Linux (the operating system) offers to its
43 > users, using Gentoo Linux as the glue to help users install and maintain
44 > their system.
45 >
46 > As such a handbook is dangerous to develop (as many technologies grow and
47 > develop over months while writing such a handbook takes at least another
48 > year), the style in which the handbook is written should be more
49 > explanatory and less tutorial-based. This means that the step-by-step
50 > examples should be minimized, but that the technologies behind it should
51 > be clearly documented and well explained.
52 >
53 > The current draft is not finished, only one-and-a-half part is filled in
54 > and many will follow. I want to ask all of you to take a look and state
55 > your opinions on it. I also want you to help out writing this book: if you
56 > know any interesting technologies that will remain apparent in the Linux
57 > OS even in one year, do write on it.
58 >
59 > Personally, I think that I'll first write separate guides on the subjects
60 > (which will be step-by-step) after which I create a chapter in the
61 > handbook that covers the technology without going too deeply in the
62 > step-by-step instructions.
63 >
64 > I want this to be clear: the handbook should *not* cover the commands in
65 > great detail but rather help the reader find out what is possible with
66 > Linux, understand the technology and be able to search for the specific
67 > documentation on the Internet.
68 >
69 > For instance, the LVM2 documentation in the handbook should cover the
70 > essentials of LVM2: the logical, abstract idea behind it (separation of
71 > physical versus logical), features (like snapshotting) with examples how
72 > easy it is to create such setups (yes, examples are important) but not
73 > with a complete white paper on a specific setup. Difficult topics that are
74 > well documented elsewhere should be mentioned but not copied (think LVM2
75 > for root file system).
76 >
77 > My asbestos suit is in place, my fingers are well protected with hardened
78 > steel gloves to counter Yoswink's knife and I have my cookies at hand to
79 > get enough sugar to survive this thread.
80 >
81 > Wkr,
82 > Sven Vermeulen
93 --