From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Moving stuff to Gentoo Wiki?
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 19:48:06
1 On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 09:37:08PM +0200, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > > > License-wise, this should be okay, as there is a version-up clause in the
3 > > > CC-BY-SA license most documents use. It would also allow us to focus on the
4 > > > installation instructions and, who knows, have some input for the Gentoo
5 > > > Wiki Knowledge base at http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Main_Page
6 > > > ;-)
7 > >
8 > > Would the licensing also allow eventually taking the wiki articles and
9 > > adding them to GDP?
10 >
11 > Yes, we recently support the same version as on the Wiki.
12 >
13 > Moving however does have its implications. Handling translations still needs
14 > to be sought out/through, although I can imagine that most translation teams
15 > also don't have the power of an entire army at their disposal to handle
16 > translations. And especially not for wiki's.
17
18 Good news for those that don't follow the mailinglists. The wiki guys just
19 announced support for translating wiki pages [1]. That means that the only
20 burden we had to "not move" documents from the main documentation site to
21 the wiki has been resolved.
22
23 In the coming days (well, most likely beyond June 15th as that's a hard
24 deadline I have for non-Gentoo related stuff and I'm swamped in work) I will
25 be moving documentation to the wiki. I'll start with those documents that
26 have bugs on them that we haven't worked on in ages (figuratively) and
27 others will follow soon.
28
29 If an article on the wiki already exists on the subject, I'll probably
30 not move update it considering I need to keep attribution on the Gentoo
31 documents (which means I need to add an acknowledgements section to the
32 article, something that doesn't really make sense on existing articles on
33 the wiki where just a few parts would be moved).
34
35 The Gentoo Handbook is most likely the latest one to be moved, as it is a
36 very dynamically generated document (and thus not as easy to integrate on
37 the wiki). Or not moved at all. We'll see.
38
39 If you want to assist in moving documents to the wiki, be my guest ;-)
40
41 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Help:Translating
42
43 Wkr,