From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Translations for GMN
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:23:31
1 > Some of you may have heard about the transition to a monthly newsletter
2 > (GMN) instead of the weekly newsletter. We'd like to try this out for a
3 > while to see how it pans out.
4
5 Thanks for picking up the pieces of the GWN and turning it into a GMN.
6 FYI, we do docs, not news.
7
8 > This email is a call for translators for the GMN. I'd like to do some
9 > co-ordination to make sure that we publish the translations as quickly
10 > as possible. Here's my plan (I don't know how things were done with the
11 > GWN, so feel free to suggest changes):
12
13 We also translate docs, not news.
14 Some translators obviously contribute to both, some don't.
15 You're posting to the wrong audience.
16
17 > 1) The GMN is scheduled to be published on the 3rd monday of every
18 > month. Deadline for new articles will be the preceding friday and I will
19 > send a draft version to -core on Sunday.
20
21 Not really our problem, but I have a hunch many hope that a monthly deadline
22 would allow for a bit more time to comment on draft versions.
23
24 > 2) Simultaneously, I will also email -doc with a link to the draft
25 > version, so you can begin translating.
26
27 I doubt many would really want to translate anything that is going to change.
28
29 > 3) There may a few (minor) changes between the draft version and the
30 > final version, but the final version won't be published until Monday,
31 > 00:00 UTC. You can push the final translated version whenever you're done.
32
33 Translators want the final version, tracking changes between your draft and
34 the final version is a PITA.
35
36 > 4) I will link to http://www.gentoo.org/news/<lang>/gmn/gmn.xml in every
37 > issue. (Note the change in directory - gwn to gmn). The english version
38 > of the GMN index page can be found at
39 > http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/gmn.xml (for translation reference).
40
41 At the moment, 100% dead links, please do not commit any link to anything that
42 hasn't been committed yet.
43
44 > Could someone from the docs team make sure that the feeds are still
45 > generated properly? The /cvsroot/news/en/gmn directory has already been
46 > created, but I didn't want to do anything related to feed generation
47 > without asking you folks first :)
48
49 Docs team do docs, not feeds, but it's something I can help you with provided
50 you have the following problem fixed for me:
51
52 /var/cvsroot/gentoo/xml/htdocs/news/en/gmn/gmn.xml,v <-- gmn.xml
53 new revision: 1.4; previous revision: 1.3
54 cvs [commit aborted]: could not open lock file
55 `/var/cvsroot/gentoo/xml/htdocs/news/en/gmn/,gmn.xml,': Permission denied
56
57 You'll have the same request from translators every time a new language is
58 added. I still think you should have kept GWN for Gentoo World News.
61 Cheers,
62 --
63 / Xavier Neys
64 \_ Gentoo Documentation Project