From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:11:44
Alexey Chumakov wrote:
> After some extensive work with mostly outdated Russian docs, I tend to > agree with Jan--we need some means to signal an outdated translation. > > My proposition is somewhat simpler -- > > 1. Let the reader decide if the document is outdated :-) > We'll need to link the derived document to source one, and add a > displayed message: > "Source document is available at [link] > [optional version - fetched from source doc if possible > [optional date]" > > Attr might look like this: > <guide link="/doc/ru/sample.xml" lang="ru" source-link="/doc/en/sample.xml"> > > Or, maybe it'll be possible to fetch dependency info from metadoc...
Well, I asked about something similar (maybe completely different - I don't know XSLT much) - use <uri link="metadoc:file-id"> and automatically select translated file if available. I was told that it is not easy and (iirc) can't be done ATM. Would be great, though :-).
> 2. It's also useful to introduce some link like "send comments here..." > directly into document, and point it to GDP [internalization] page in > the document's language. > E.g. many Russian readers do not realize easily where to post their bug > reports and suggestions...
IMHO useless, but I'm not typical Russian reader :-)
> 3. For unofficial languages, IMHO there is no need to do anything if > there's no index reference to it.
Well, but what if previously supported language transformes into unsupported one? There will be some links from non-official websites pointing to the outdated translations...
> And 3rd party articles are already marked :-)
IIRC, articles themselves are *not* marked, only the index is. Cheers, -jkt -- cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth