From: Walter Goossens <wa.goossens@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] writing device drivers howto
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:52:11
1 Morgan, Austin D. wrote:
2 > The book Linux Device Drivers is my favorite reference for this type of
3 > question. You can purchase it from anyone who has OReilly books, or
4 > download it since it is published under Creative Commons. The newest
5 > version is 3rd ed.
6 >
7 > Austin Morgan
10 That's one of my favorite reads...
11 You can also (ab)use the /proc filesystem for your module. I used this
12 quite a lot and it is easier to use when then the /dev filesystem.
13 You could also use the /sys filesystem but I have no experience with that...
14 I'm not sure if it's a good design practice to the /proc filesystem a
15 lot (There both people encouraging and discouraging it...) but I found
16 it a very easy way to talk to userspace!
17
18 Anyway find the book here:
19 http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/
20 It is usable both as a reference and as a tutorial!
21
22 Greetz Walter Goossens
23 > -----Original Message-----
24 > From: gentoo-embedded+bounces-1145-AUSTIN.D.MORGAN=saic.com@g.o on
25 > behalf of andreas.sumper@×××××××××.at
26 > Sent: Tue 8/22/2006 8:37 AM
27 > To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
28 > Subject: [gentoo-embedded] writing device drivers howto
29 >
30 > Hi list!
31 >
32 > This is some sort of offtopic, but I guess this is the best point to ask.
33 > I have an embedded system running linux. I need to access some special
34 > registers (e.g. containing the clock cycles, ...) So I managed to write a
35 > very simple module, which is able to access the registers. But what makes
36 > me worrying now, is the way, I have to get the data into my user-space
37 > application. Is there some documentation, concerning writing device
38 > drivers and accessing them from the user space anywhere? I found some
39 > documentation, but either I did not understand the part about getting data
40 > from kernel space into user space, or it was just simply missing.
41 >
42 > Maybe anyone here can help me out!
43 >
44 > Thanks in advance and kind regards!
45 >
46 > Bye,
47 > Andy
52 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list