From: Nicola Mfb <nicola.mfb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] compiling on openmoko
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:10:01
1 2009/4/23 Previdi Roberto <previdi.roberto@×××××.com>:
2 > ewithoutu much effort. The remaining problem is that each package
3 > configure phase is very slow, i think because of the slow disk access
4 > (it must read/write on the microsd card..).
5 > so, is there any tested way to speed up everything? i used ext3 for
6 > the partition filesystem, so i think that is slowing down everything..
7
8 I did not digged deeply but ext3 for me is too slow, I returned to
9 ext2 without trying to tune it.
10 Using NFS for /var/tmp is a good idea as it eliminates dangerous
11 write/rewrite to SD card, but you cannot take the freerunner with you
12 for many hours/days/weeks!
13 I setupped a qemu-system-arm box on my server farm that compiles
14 binary packages for freerunner, it's slow but faster than freerunner,
15 when it finished I emerge -gK packages I need.
16
17 I hope I'll have the sheeva plug in the next month hoping I will be
18 able to compile very fast.
19
20 Ah! a problem with the qemubox is that I was not able to find an
21 updated kernel, so if you update glibc with new kernel-headers it will
22 happens strange things (eg. svn does not works anymore with neon).
23
24 Regards
25
26 Nicola