From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] software choices for embedded system
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:03:11
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 11:19:33PM +0100, Marcelo Coelho wrote:
2 > >Well, I may be obnoxious but I do a stage4 with catalyst (total 200
3 > >packages or so) and then trim it down using unmerge, empty and rm in
4 > >the spec file to suite.
5 >
6 > Well, it looks like the way to go to me too. Maybe I'll try to use
7 > binary packages in oder to avoid the unmerge process.
8
9 Avoid the unmerge? unmerge is used to clean out all the packages that
10 are depended upon e.g. in order to install cron, but not really
11 required just to run cron.
12
13 Binary packages would help here if you created fake empty binary
14 packages for the dependencies, but I think it would be less work to
15 make your own (empty) ebuilds for those packages instead, and that
16 would be so much more future proof.
19 > I thought that I would be able to install only the needed packages
20 > and dependencies only and have a system like LFS (Linux From
21 > Scratch).
22
23 You sure are - but not all ebuilds in portage are 100% customizeable
24 yet so for total control your own portage tree, or at least an
25 overlay, is definately the way to go.
28 //Peter
29 --
30 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list