From: Yuri Vasilevski <yvasilev@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] frontend needed to make Gentoo/embedded a viability
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 02:39:39
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:50:39 -0400
4 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > so i was tooling along the road thinking about what it would take for
7 > people to sit down and use Gentoo/embedded for the target ...
8 > currently we have misc ways of doing this by hand (install
9 > mask/etc...), but it tends to be error prone and it requires the end
10 > user to know more than they should about the portage environment
11 >
12 > what would help here is a frontend ... something like uClinux or Open
13 > Embedded where a menu system allows the user to select the packages
14 > to install into the target image and when they're done, they simply
15 > type 'make' ... wait a bit and they're left with images that they can
16 > take and flash onto the target board
17
18 The way I see this, is that this is covered by buildroot, so it would be
19 duplicating things at some level to do this with gentoo.
20
21 > so really, a friendly frontend for the user to select the
22 > characteristics of the system, and then a backend to take that config
23 > and use emerge to build everything and generate an image ... would
24 > make it easy to create stock board descriptions too ...
25
26 But I think it would be really nice if we could teach catalyst to
27 generate embedded images from some "board" spec files.
28 And once this works, a fancy spec file editor with a nice gui could be
29 written if needed.
30
31 > what do you guys think ? stupid idea ? good idea waiting for a
32 > champion ? -mike
33
34 Yuri.
35 --