From: AJ Armstrong <aja@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloaders, and more bootloaders
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 01:52:50
Quoth he:
> I did a little research on bootloaders, and found the selection to be > very platform specific. Here's what I dug up: > > x86 : LILO, GRUB ROLO, Loadlin, Etherboot, LINUXBIOS, U-Boot, RedBoot > ARM : Compaq's bootldr, blob, U-Boot, RedBoot > PowerPC: U-Boot, RedBoot > MIPS : PMON, RedBoot > SuperH : sh-boot, RedBoot > m68k : RedBoot >
-- Wow. Good research job. I'd just add that it can also be quite specific to your build architecture (the utilities you use to create, transfer, flash your builds) - I have one that doesn't even use a bootloader - the kernel is flashed into memory location 0x0...0, which is the boot vector - hence the kernel is its own boot loader. We might need to look at specific platforms as well as architectures to see what options offer the broadest range of possibilities. It may come down to a whole bunch of HOWTO paragraphs - one for each device/platform. ---------------------------------- aja@×××××××××××××.com www.clanarmstrong.com qui tacet consentire videtur -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list