From: Eric Radman <theman@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] Bootloaders, and more bootloaders
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:46:36

I did a little research on bootloaders, and found the selection to be
very platform specific. Here's what I dug up:

x86    : LILO, GRUB ROLO, Loadlin, Etherboot, LINUXBIOS, U-Boot, RedBoot
ARM    : Compaq's bootldr, blob, U-Boot, RedBoot
PowerPC: U-Boot, RedBoot
MIPS   : PMON, RedBoot
SuperH : sh-boot, RedBoot
m68k   : RedBoot

Apparently, U-Boot has a very flexible design, but Redboot is the only
one that works accross all of these platforms. RedBoot is open source,
but it has hooks into eCos, a non-Linux embedded system. I gather that
RedBoot is used to start the Linux kernel, but I don't know how this is

Here's the question: should we recommend/target specific bootloaders, or
should we mearly document what the options are?

E. Radman