From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] ADSL router + firewall + PoPToP....
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:20:39
1 On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 07:46 -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 11:09 +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 09:53 +0100, Marcelo Coelho wrote:
4 > > > > no not at all. the baselayout-lite one does not depend on bash what so
5 > > > > ever and includes pretty much no init/conf scripts. You get to hack on
6 > > > > your own init scripts, which is a trivial task.
7 > > >
8 > > > Well, i have to use a different baselayout. The boot time is far too
9 > > > long to be acceptable and there is a problem with hotplug (an error
10 > > > appears that the firmware isn't available). But i don't know if it's
11 > > > easier to make my init scripts or use initng.
12 > >
13 > > I have made a baselyaout with a stripped down version of runscript that
14 > > will run the many init.d script from gentoo out of the box.
15 > >
16 > > Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you the sources
19 > Does not depend on bash?
20
21 no
22
23 > Works with ash? :)
24
25 yes :)
26
27 or... I'm actually using dash currently because coldplugging takes like
28 3 minutes with ash and 5 seconds with dash. (its fixed in next release
29 of busybox so I'll drop dash)
30
31 > If so I think we would all be interested in moving fwd in that
32 > direction. Feel like putting together an updated baselayout-lite ebuild?
33
34 I have one already. But its designed to load binary packages to ram
35 during boot, LEAF style.
36
37 rsync://tanael.org/alpine-portage/sys-apps/baselayout-alpine/
38
39 You can probably reuse parts of it. The source package is here:
40 http://tanael.org/alpine/baselayout-alpine/baselayout-alpine-0.9.6.tar.gz
41
42 I kind of immitate runlevels, (using rc0.d, rc1.d etc) but the big
43 difference from normal sysv is that *all* runlevels or "boot stages" are
44 executed.
45
46 I had to patch some of the init.d scripts. Typically it was replacing:
47
48 if [ expr && expr ] ...
49
50 with:
51
52 if [ expr ] && [ expr ] ...
53
54 If we could get the init.d script writers to try to not be too bashish,
55 it would be great.
56
57 If there is interrest I could dump my patches somwhere.
58
59 If you want to see it in action, try:
60 http://tanael.org/alpine/v1.1/iso/alpine-1.1.3_beta8-060622-i386.iso
61
62 Its 125Mb
66 gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list