From: David Ford <david@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] SATA on Pandaboard?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 02:04:30
1 On 12/07/10 19:34, wireless wrote:
2 > [...
3 > You've got to be kidding me? I posted on Gentoo user a few
4 > days ago (NOV 8th) about a netbook. The resounding number
5 > one issue is avoid SSD and get a mechanical HD!
6 > <from a pretty smart person>
7 > "Those SSDs are shite. Get a mechanical drive. 8G is also
8 > not enough and the write performance is pathetic. "
9
10 from another pretty smart person - and an empirical relationship. i have a dell w/ an SSD drive. have had it for a year now. it goes -everywhere- with me, daily. physically, it's been dropped, kicked, whacked, you name it. the SSD drive is still cruising along nicely. for r/w workload, i run gentoo on it and do nightly ~x86 updates. so the only rest it gets is the short period between finishing nightly updates and when i grab it and hit the road. the only time it gets shut off is if i happen to run out of battery every few months.
11
12 it's not the same as a 15K drive, but then, it's not a 15K drive. unless you want to pay really outlandish prices, you won't find that type of speed on a laptop. it would eat batteries like bot snacks.
13
14 the really smart thing is to really know what sort of hardware you get/have, and understand how to pick $better kernel driver vs. $generic_fallback thingie. you can't expect even a performance drive to operate smashingly if you're loading the generic i-can-just-barely-make-it-work driver :)