From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] SATA on Pandaboard?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 01:04:31
1 >> With that kind of processing power and DVI & HDMI out, I
2 >> had a hard time believing there is no SATA native
3 >> or hacked hardware solution.
4 >
5 > I think you'll have to believe it. :) SATA requires transceivers
6 > in about the same class as DVI/HDMI. I can certainly imagine that
7 > only one set of transceivers would fit the chip area/price point,
8 > and I think graphics was the right choice in that case.
9
10 It's a SOC so I sure things could be reshuffled to get a
11 sata bus interface. Dropping the video is an excellent idea
12 for a mini server!
15 >> It's intended for mobile, so why not support sata (for laptop size HD)?
16 >
17 > I think it's too "clunky" for the intentions of the OMAP.
18 >
19 > And using a mechanical device in a mobile project is a bad idea. SSDs
20 > sure, but they are only an afterthought since many devices already use
21 > hard drives. If making a new platform or a new device, then best not
22 > go that route, better use the flash controller and some NAND.
23
24 You've got to be kidding me? I posted on Gentoo user a few
25 days ago (NOV 8th) about a netbook. The resounding number
26 one issue is avoid SSD and get a mechanical HD!
27 <from a pretty smart person>
28 "Those SSDs are shite. Get a mechanical drive. 8G is also
29 not enough and the write performance is pathetic. "
32 >> Hard to believe that was missed or is not forthcoming, imho.
33 >
34 > Maybe someone will make a SATA daughterboard, but since there's no
35 > PCI bus it would have to be based on one of the USB->SATA chipsets
36 > which are all pretty crappy. It could certainly be done though.
37
38 USB 3.0 maybe, usb2.0 no way I would go that route. Besides
39 it just adds a layer of crap that is unnecessary....
43 > Chip Block Diagram
44 > http://focus.ti.com/en/graphics/wtbu/OMAP4430_zoom.jpg
47 I saw that. Like I said NO SATA? hard to believe....
48 that's my gut reaction! (and I'm an embedded hardware type)....
51 >> Much of the information and docs are just too new
52 >> to be complete.
53 >
54 > Most of TIs docs are nearly two years old.
57 I see plenty of docs that are a few days/weeks old
58 related to this panda board and TI's commitment to
59 OMAP and open source BSPs.
62 >> No doubt, since the gerbers et. al. exist, it wont be long before
63 >> somebody puts a SATA bus interface, to this project.
64 >
65 > I guess the ease of a $15 USB->SATA converter will mean most don't
66 > bother.
67
68 Hmn. I think this board will get re-spun loosing the video
69 and adding a sata port(s) and connectors (as you have
70 pointed out). That way you could house the board and a hard
71 drive into a mini box and put lots of parallel servers to
72 work. Easy to power up and down (at least the drive) to make
73 it very power efficient or to cluster.
76 > Hehe. I wouldn't trust SATA drives for critical things. But I
77 > certainly agree that Cortex-A will reach into the server market!
78
79 Sata is fine, particularly with technologies such as CEPH
80 and others coming of age. Many dual core A9's and lots of
81 cheap ram and sata drives will rule! I'm redesigning a
82 video cluster for a large agency based on this new stuff!
83 Sata + pandaboard is exactly what we've been looking for!
86 (mi_Liege)
88 james