From: Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs@×××××.nl>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] using gentoo-embedded on Fedora 8
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:22:27
1 > The document that you are referring to assumes that you have gentoo on the
2 > system. For example... I cannot mount /usr/portage as my base system is
3 > fedora.
4 Ah yes, of course :-)
5
6 > If I have to go by this then I would have to make /opt/gentoo download one
7 > of the starges for i686 and then make this as chroot and then again create
8 > another directory /opt/gentoo and download i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux. Is that
9 > what you are also doing ?
10 No, that would give you three roots, a full gentoo root, a dev root and an
11 embedded root. That is certainly possible, but you can also just skip the
12 outer one.
13
14 > # mount --bind /usr/portage /opt/i586-gentoo-uclibc-linux/usr/portage
15 I think the only reason they do this, is to prevent you from downloading
16 another /usr/portage when you already have one. AFAIK just running emerge
17 --sync inside your dev root should fill /usr/portage as well.
18
19 I'm saying "I think" here, because incidentally I do have a full Gentoo
20 root as well, which shares its /usr/portage with my dev root. Also, I'm not
21 completely sure anymore what I did to set things up from the start (it's been
22 a while). I think I wanted to try a glibc and uclibc side by side at first,
23 but I stopped doing that when glibc turned out to be 27MB on itself.
24
25 Anyway, it might not be a bad idea to keep a full gentoo system around as
26 well. In particular, my dev root doesn't have any manpages (which is probably
27 fixable, but just having a full gentoo root for man works as well :-)
28
29 I hope this will help you along the way a little :-)
30
31 Gr.
32
33 Matthijs