From: Abhishek Amit <abhishek@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Porting Applications
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:43:07
On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 19:05, nDiScReEt wrote:
> Since we are committing to uClibc (I have no complaints and am in complete > agreement, except....) that raises a new issue. Well, not entirely new but an > issue nonetheless. Familiar is now trying to krack down on developers and > contributors to provide links to their source code used to make their current > binary programs. The downside is that without the special patches and what > not, alot of useful and great programs can not be ported readily to uClibc. > Not saying that this is an impossibility, just saying that how do we design > the ebuild to port current gentoo applications to fit and function in our > embedded environments. Not all PDAs have the same screen size and memory > constraints as noted in an earlier post. As memory is an important factor, it > shouldn't be a penalty for those with bigger memory and displays. There > should be a tool that works like genmenu, in which where you use this program > (let us call it "genembedconf") to set the parameters for your particular > build of a embedded system (ie the HP iPAQ H3955 is a 400MHz Intel XScale > PXA250 hwhich has 32MB flash ROM, 64MB SDRAM, and 240x320 16-bit display.) > We would want it to be compiled for a pxa and have all apps be ported to a > display size of 240x320 with rotation capability. On the other hand, Sharp > Zaurus C-7[56]0 display is 640x480 with 128MB of storage (of which 64MB is > always for storage), and it's hardware processor is a Intel XScale PXA255. > Then, of course, there is the ARM. So creating an gentoo embedded > configuration tool I think would simplify creating cross-compiling toolchains > and target-specific compiled code. I hope I conveyed my thoughts clearly > enough so that everyone understands what I am talking about. As I have been > up for far too long to mention and am now in dire need of some much needed > sleep.
I don't see the need for a configuration tool. All you have to set are CFLAGs and chose a libc, a choice which will be influenced by the amount of memory on the device. Screen resolution has little effect when building the package, unless it has multiple front ends, such as a QT front end, a GTK one, a QT/E one, and the list goes on. In such cases I feel USE flags should be used to determine which front ends are built. I have yet to see applications with built in rotation. Environments such as OPIE or I'm sure X handle this AFAIK. You use the same toolchain for building ARM and PXA binaries, just with different CFLAGS(and obviously the toolchain has to support PXA, but it is not a separate toolchain). Just my 2 cents, -- Abhishek Amit <abhishek@g.o>