From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Embedded Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-embedded@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Porting Applications
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 05:39:40
On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 21:05, nDiScReEt wrote:
> Since we are committing to uClibc (I have no complaints and am in > complete agreement, except....) that raises a new issue. Well, not > entirely new but an issue nonetheless. Familiar is now trying to krack > down on developers and contributors to provide links to their source > code used to make their current binary programs. The downside is that > without the special patches and what not, alot of useful and great > programs can not be ported readily to uClibc.
Just to reiterate what I said in another email, uClibc is what we should use for the default, but glibc will still be there as an option.
> There should be a tool that works like genmenu, in which where you use > this program (let us call it "genembedconf") to set the parameters for > your particular build of a embedded system
[lots of systems and specs listed]
> So creating an gentoo embedded configuration tool I think would > simplify creating cross-compiling toolchains and target-specific > compiled code.
Well this sounds like something the handhelds subproject people will be looking at. A tool would be one option, another might be to put options in make.conf or something; however, that might be a little ugly depending on the number of parameters. The problem with a tool is that you need to keep some sort of database about all the devices' parameters, and would have to be maintained. -- Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o> Developer, SELinux Hardened Gentoo Linux Embedded Gentoo Linux Public Key: Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243