From: Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau <maxposedon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] compiling on openmoko
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:24:58
1 On Thursday 23 April 2009 23:16:37 wireless wrote:
2 > Nicola Mfb wrote:
3 > > 2009/4/23 Previdi Roberto <previdi.roberto@×××××.com>:
4 > >> ewithoutu much effort. The remaining problem is that each package
5 > >> configure phase is very slow, i think because of the slow disk access
6 > >> (it must read/write on the microsd card..).
7 > >> so, is there any tested way to speed up everything? i used ext3 for
8 > >> the partition filesystem, so i think that is slowing down everything..
9 > >
10 > > I did not digged deeply but ext3 for me is too slow, I returned to
11 > > ext2 without trying to tune it.
12 >
13 > You know, I do not even have one of these devices. However,
14 > I have read about "squashfs" as part of the 2.6.29 kernel
15 > offering. It's suppose to be the best thing, since sliced
16 > bread, for embedded devices.
19 > Have not got around to using it on any device, but, it
20 > *may* be what your need....
21 >
22 > http://www.squashfs-lzma.org/
23 >
24 > Maybe others have experience with squashfs?
25 1. squashfs-lzma isn't supported nether by vanilla or openmoko kernel
26 2. squashfs is *read-only* FS, it isn't what he need now, and actually it hard
27 use it as rootfs, maybe just in pair with unionfs or aufs
28 3. compression is very good, portage in squashfs-gzip just ~60Mb