From: "John L. Poole" <jlpoole56@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-embedded] initramfs help
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:11:36
I'm trying to create a initramfs for the Marvell OpenRD-client as Raúl
Porcel did for the SheevaPlug in his acclaimed tome:

I've created a topic "Help with initramfs for Marvell OpenRD-Client LE"
in the forum,,
outlining what I have done and the failure I have met with:

    tftpboot 0x8000000 initramfs
    Bad Magic Number

My question that could be readily answered is:  when preparing the
initramfs for a staged tree at /usr/src/initramfs, is the command

    cd /usr/src/initramfs/
    find . -print0 | cpio --null -ov --format=newc | gzip -9 > [outputfile]

I'm wondering if the file should be in gzip format or something else?

Also, I read at the deprecated

    Additionally, you should enable SquashFS because most modern Gentoo
Installation CDs require it.

Does this apply to a kernel for the ARM processor such as Raul did?

It would be really educational to learn what the steps are for creating
an initramfs.

John Laurence Poole
P.O. Box 6566
Napa CA 94581-6566