From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] Re: Howto guide or something?
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:03:41
1 On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 04:09, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Tyler Akins wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi! I'd ideally like to get X and a few apps on an Aquapad (x86
5 > > instruction set). I like the idea of Gentoo embedded, so I installed it
6 > > on a box. Thus, I am a newbie to this flavor of Linux, but I still have
7 > > experience with other variations. I've been hanging out on this list
8 > > and I see the stage tarballs here and there (lost the URLs at the
9 > > moment, but they are around somewhere), but I'm so amazingly new to
10 > > Gentoo that I don't know what to do with them besides "tar xvfj".
11 > >
12 > > So, now that I have a nearly blank hard drive and the most basic
13 > > components of Gentoo installed, I was wondering what I should do next.
14 > > Is there a howto document or something laying around? Or, perhaps
15 > > people could show a few sample instructions and provide a few steps to
16 > > get me started? Some sample commands for compiling a library or one of
17 > > the things that X requires?
18 >
19 > X (tested older XFree86 and xorg-x11-6.8.1) can't be built against uclibc
20 > for now (missing math functions)
21 >
22 > solar,vapier:
23 > I could add to the masked uclibc
24 > use X && (apply X needed math funcs)
25 > and/or
26 > use java && (apply sun-jdk math funcs)
27 > the java condition is not quite true, they are needed to build sun-j2sdk
28
29 Well here is what I'm thinking in this respect. mjn3 is working on a new
30 libm but it's going to be a while before he is done. Reading the
31 uClibc/TODO states that libm is targeted for 1.0 which we know is going
32 to be a ways out. So if we have replacement functions then lets post
33 them here for review and consider patching out own -lm till such time as
34 mjn3 has it ready and it works for us.
35
36 http://uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/uClibc/TODO?&view=auto
37 TODO list for the uClibc 1.0.0 release:
38 *) Implement the float and long double versions of math funcs
39 using wrappers on top of the double versions (size / precision
40 trade off where size clearly wins).
41 >
42 > Peter
43 --
44 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
45 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded) Developer