From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@g.o
Cc: david@×××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] glibc and standard baselayout minimalist installation
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:29:46
On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 20:05, david@×××××××××.com wrote:
> I think you mentioned this on gentoo-dev but I'll bring it up here... > > For these embedded systems it would be nice if we had a > baselayout-lite. I'm not convinced every init script for these tiny > processors needs to source 300+ lines of bash functions to just > provide colors and [ ok ] symbols ;-)
I think we all agree on this :) The current baselayout is there to fulfill a different purpose than what Gentoo-embedded aims for. There is a lot of overhead and bulkiness with the current baselayout for an embedded project. Just think of the dependencies it has on gawk, bash, and some other stuff. Also I am wondering whether the current init scripts are too much for an embedded system. Maybe a much simpler init system is needed for embedded. Dont know. What I think this project should aim though, is to somehow categorize and have subprojects which in turn each of them would require different sets of baselayout (full, lite), libc (glibc, uClibc/dieltlibc), etc... Regards, Vano. -- gentoo-embedded@g.o mailing list