From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: hardened-sources & tp_smapi, firefox-9.0 install stucks
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 23:55:47
1 On 01/12/2012 06:26 AM, Radek Madej wrote:
2
3 > IMHO, it'd make more sense to invest into a microkernel system, say based on
4 > Minix3, add PaX features to the kernel, at least proper ASLR and W^X, and use
5 > RBAC (grsec RBAC for instance ;] ) to ensure adequate isolation between
6 > processes in the userspace. Simple. Neat. Clean. Proper engineering. ;] Sounds
7 > like a nice PhD project to me... ;)
10 Oh dear god, Minix! While I respect what Tanenbaum is up to with Minix
11 and I hope he keeps developing it, the current situation is that it has
12 a very tiny base and it will probably stay that way. I loved the
13 original Minix for teaching (although I've moved on to James Molloy's
14 kernel), but usability is inversely proportional to complexity. If
15 Minix were to span the usability spectrum of a kernel like Linux or BSD,
16 I've got a gut feeling it would hit many of the same insecurity issues
17 despite the theory of separation of subsystems.
18
19 As to the broader question of important software abusing memory, when
20 you have so many developers, coding in so many different ways and with
21 so many different philosophies, I'm amazed we can even get something
22 like PaX off the ground. My own approach is to keep pressure on
23 upstream to change their coding practice. It seems like the only
24 practical approach for the near future.
27 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
28 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
29 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
31 GnuPG ID : D0455535