From: PaX Team <pageexec@××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] pidgin & nvidia-drivers-355.11
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 14:14:48
1 On 19 Sep 2015 at 2:06, Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > I've temporary switched to `eselect opengl set xorg-x11` and was able to
4 > start pidgin, but I wonder is there other way to work around this issue?
5 > Problem is, I don't like to use `paxctl-ng -m /usr/bin/pidgin` because
6 > pidgin is one of "these" apps - it process a lot of data from network, it
7 > support a lot of protocols, does a lot of complex parsing…
8
9 you'll have to find out first why nvidia's GL dispatch library has
10 text relocations as that's not even allowed by the amd64 ABI and i
11 don't see any here in fact, for reference:
12
13 3e3ef95fd0351495d400147b994b1978 /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLdispatch.so.0
14
15 so try "readelf -edW /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLdispatch.so.0"
16 and post its output.
17
18 next, there's PAX_ELFRELOCS for this special case but before you
19 enable that let's figure out where those textrels come from ("scanelf -tT"
20 can also help).
21
22 > And main question is: why the hell pidgin needs OpenGL? I don't have any
23 > "visual" plugins for pidgin enabled, so at a glance it shouldn't use OpenGL.
24 > And it was able to work without is before I've updated nvidia-drivers, so
25 > maybe something is wrong with this nvidia-drivers version.
26 > How to find out why pidgin needs this library at all?
27
28 it may not be a direct dependency, you can try both ldd (on pidgin and
29 its dependent libraries) and strace/gdb to see why/when it's loaded.