From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Python stops working after upgrade
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:10:56
1 On 05/30/2013 11:45 AM, Magnus Granberg wrote:
2 > torsdag 30 maj 2013 11.13.45 skrev Anthony G. Basile:
3 >>
4 >> migrate-pax also will copy PT_PAX to XATTR_PAX flags identically with
5 >> one exception, if PT_PAX = "-e---" then no user.pax.flags xattr is
6 >> created. I am always thinking in terms of either PAX_PT_PAX_FLAGS xor
7 >> PAX_XATTR_PAX_FLAGS is on, not both. When both are on, we fall back on
8 >> what you describe. So I adopted the approach: don't copy "-e---" to
9 >> XATTR_PAX and when you reboot into a PAX_PT_PAX_FLAGS=n and
10 >> PAX_XATTR_PAX_FLAGS=y kernel, you'll get the desired behavior.
11 >>
12 >> A good approach or no?
13 > To use xattr pax flags PAX_MARKINGS need to be set to XT in make.conf
14 > else will portage default to PT when marking.
15
16 Thanks Mangus for reminding us. We had to set the default portage
17 behaviour to just doing PT_PAX markings because there were two
18 remanining issues: 1) making sure that even gentoo-sources would
19 preserve user.pax.flags on tmpfs and 2) fixing the default behavior of
20 install which currently does not preserve xattrs.
21
22 The former is solved. This was needed for people who switch back and
23 forth between gentoo-sources and hardened-sources (there are a few, even
24 I do sometimes). We don't want to loose XATTR_PAX flags when emerging
25 with gentoo-sources.
26
27 The latter is going to bump up against GNU standards. But I have a plan :)
30 > Python need EMUTRAMP enable in the kernel with newer libffi and python
31 > and have the E mark on the binary.
32 > /Magnus
35 This is now on by default so a user has to deliberally turn off EMUTRAMP
36 rather than vice versa.
40 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
41 Chair of Information Technology
42 D'Youville College