From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: GPL stuff with binary modules - FSF ruling
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:45:57
1 On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 22:27 +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:19:10 -0400
3 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > How you you/we feel about p.masking nvidia-glx and friends in the
6 > > hardened profiles? They do nothing but cause us heartache anyway and
7 > > we are mostly powerless to fix them unless we are willing to spend a
8 > > a lot of time reverse engineering the object code.
9 >
10 > Sounds good to me. Anyone using a hardened profile is implicitly
11 > sacrificing performance & functionality for the hardening - if they
12 > don't want to make that sacrifice they can use the default-linux
13 > profiles (or just unmask locally). I think one role of the hardened
14 > profiles is to protect users from some stuff that may compromise the
15 > very stuff the hardened profile puts in place.
16 >
17 > If we were to follow this to its logical conclusion, we would
18 > p.mask anything that has TEXTRELs or needs executable stack/heap etc -
19 > users can still include such stuff by unmasking locally, but at least
20 > they are aware they are making a compromise.
21 >
22 > (btw did you mean to send that to -core as well? not sure so I've
23 > replied privately - if you did mean to send to -core as well feel free
24 > to quote me)
25
26 Pretty sure I initially did a reply to all. No matter however if I did
27 not as it's more a topic for the hardened list.
28
29 Heads up to nvidia users... If you use nvidia-glx and a hardened profile
30 it's going to be package.masked
33 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
34 Gentoo Linux
37 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list