From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] glibc not using PIE
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:47:05
1 2008/10/13 Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>:
2 > I'm still fiddling to get my firewall running smoothly on hardened/selinux
3 >
4 > I'm re-emerging various things but I'm seeing this:
5 >
6 > PIE hardening not applied, as your compiler doesn't default to PIE
9 You set the "hardened" USE flag, which is normally exported by the
10 standard hardened profile and, indeed, the equivalent sub-profiles in
11 the selinux namespace. This is appropriate when using - and building -
12 the hardened toolchain. In the case of glibc, it installs several
13 patches to aid in the generation of system-wide PIE binaries and
14 facilitates SSP handling. However, you are not actually using a
15 suitable instance of gcc with the correct specs activated, presumably
16 because you didn't begin with a hardened stage tarball - and toolchain
17 - in the first instance (in turn, perhaps owing to the somewhat
18 irregular nature of the SELinux installation process in Gentoo). The
19 only supported compiler for this particular intent is gcc-3.4.6-r2 and
20 you may peruse and switch between the available specs using the
21 gcc-config tool. For further details, please refer to the following
22 pages:
23
24 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/primer.xml
25 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardened-toolchain.xml