From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] glibc not using PIE
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:56:25
1 Kerin Millar wrote:
2 > 2008/10/13 Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>:
3 >> I'm still fiddling to get my firewall running smoothly on hardened/selinux
4 >>
5 >> I'm re-emerging various things but I'm seeing this:
6 >>
7 >> PIE hardening not applied, as your compiler doesn't default to PIE
10 > You set the "hardened" USE flag, which is normally exported by the
11 > standard hardened profile and, indeed, the equivalent sub-profiles in
12 > the selinux namespace. This is appropriate when using - and building -
13 > the hardened toolchain. In the case of glibc, it installs several
14 > patches to aid in the generation of system-wide PIE binaries and
15 > facilitates SSP handling. However, you are not actually using a
16 > suitable instance of gcc with the correct specs activated, presumably
17 > because you didn't begin with a hardened stage tarball - and toolchain
18
19 Well I installed from the stage3-hardened 2008 tarball...then I
20 recompiled most of it for selinux, all the time my profile was set to
21 selinux-hardened.
22
23 > - in the first instance (in turn, perhaps owing to the somewhat
24 > irregular nature of the SELinux installation process in Gentoo). The
25 > only supported compiler for this particular intent is gcc-3.4.6-r2 and
26 > you may peruse and switch between the available specs using the
27 > gcc-config tool.
28
29 Maybe it's defaulting to using 4.x and that isn't hardened.
30
31 For further details, please refer to the following
32 > pages:
33 >
34 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/primer.xml
35 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardened-toolchain.xml
36 >
37 > Cheers,
38 >
39 > --Kerin
42 Thanks I will look at them. I'm still having plenty of problems with
43 running network services under selinux enforced mode, but I'm trying to
44 sort the problems from the ground up at the moment :)
45
46 Matt