From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] glibc not using PIE
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 01:04:06
1 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Kerin Millar wrote:
3 >> 2008/10/13 Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>:
4 >>> I'm still fiddling to get my firewall running smoothly on hardened/selinux
5 >>>
6 >>> I'm re-emerging various things but I'm seeing this:
7 >>>
8 >>> PIE hardening not applied, as your compiler doesn't default to PIE
9 >>>
10 >> You set the "hardened" USE flag, which is normally exported by the
11 >> standard hardened profile and, indeed, the equivalent sub-profiles in
12 >> the selinux namespace. This is appropriate when using - and building -
13 >> the hardened toolchain. In the case of glibc, it installs several
14 >> patches to aid in the generation of system-wide PIE binaries and
15 >> facilitates SSP handling. However, you are not actually using a
16 >> suitable instance of gcc with the correct specs activated, presumably
17 >> because you didn't begin with a hardened stage tarball - and toolchain
18 >
19 > Well I installed from the stage3-hardened 2008 tarball...then I
20 > recompiled most of it for selinux, all the time my profile was set to
21 > selinux-hardened.
22 >
23 >> - in the first instance (in turn, perhaps owing to the somewhat
24 >> irregular nature of the SELinux installation process in Gentoo). The
25 >> only supported compiler for this particular intent is gcc-3.4.6-r2 and
26 >> you may peruse and switch between the available specs using the
27 >> gcc-config tool.
28 >
29 > Maybe it's defaulting to using 4.x and that isn't hardened.
30
31 That's exactly what was happening, I've set my profile to 3.4.6-r2 and
32 I'm not getting those messages any more. I'm going to emerge -e world
33 tonight and see if that helps out some of the other problems I'm having.
34
35 Thanks Kerin
36
37 Matt