From: Alex Brandt <alunduil@g.o>
To: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
Cc: containers@g.o, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: docker updates
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:38:49
1 On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 22:11:55 Alex Efros wrote:
2 > What is recommended way to update Docker containers with
3 Gentoo?
4
5 docker pull ${NEW_IMAGE}
6
7 Somewhat sarcastic but actually true. I don't recommend running
8 production applications inside of Gentoo based containers.
9
10 I highly recommend making containers as small as possible. That
11 means using statically linked executables and removing all
12 traces of what we know as a distribution. Production containers
13 should not be based on Gentoo images.
14
15 I see the Gentoo docker images as bases for testing Gentoo
16 itself which includes making Gentoo an appropriate environment
17 for running the docker daemon.
18
19 I'm sure this *opinion* won't be popular but I feel it's the
20 right way to go with containerization.
21
22 This would still necessitate rebuilding your containers to get
23 security updates but you could do that in response to CVEs or
24 other problems in your application without worrying about being
25 on the bleeding edge.
26
27 If you haven't seen gentoo-bb you should check it out.
28
29 Regards,
32 Alex Brandt
33 Cloud Evangelist for Rackspace and Developer for Gentoo
34 http://blog.alunduil.com