From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: containers@g.o
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] docker updates
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 20:12:02
1 Hi!
2
3 What is recommended way to update Docker containers with Gentoo?
4
5 I mean, each container is supposed to be small and unique, having
6 installed only packages needed for app which will run in this container.
7 So, with 100 different apps we may have 100 different containers with
8 Gentoo, each with custom set of packages, and even same packages may be
9 built with different USE-flags or using different versions - that's the
10 main point of Docker, provide each app with environment it needs.
11
12 But Gentoo release updates every few hours, some of them are important
13 security updates, so at a glance it looks like we'll have to rebuild and
14 restart all containers every few hours/days, and we'll have to compile all
15 packages multiple times - once per each container - which isn't acceptable
16 at all because of too much CPU resources needed (but it should be possible
17 to mitigate this by using binary packages in cases when USE flags match
18 and ccache to speedup other cases).
19
20 Am I missing something, or only way to keep Docker containers secure is
21 rebuild all containers each time I run `emerge --sync && emerge -uDN world`
22 on host?
25 WBR, Alex.