From: "Daniel Cegiełka" <daniel.cegielka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Technical repercussions of grsecurity removal
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 19:58:43
1 2017-05-02 19:23 GMT+02:00 "Tóth Attila" <atoth@××××××××××.hu>:
2 > 2017.Május 2.(K) 18:59 időpontban Daniel Cegiełka ezt írta:
3 >>> pax.?mark actually, since the eclass helper is called pax-mark. :)
4 >>> I'd hold off on removing those for at least a few months, though.
5 >>>
6 >>
7 >> If PAX_MPROTECT returns (KSPP?), then ebuilds will need to be
8 >> 'paxmarked' again. Years of work and PaX support ends in the trash.
9 >
10 > I must aggree here. If there will be an alternative implementation marking
11 > may regain its meaning. The same binaries need to be marked in some way or
12 > another. I wouldn't simply dump it unless it would disturb some
13 > functionality.
14
15 Even if PAX_MPROTECT somehow comes back to the kernel, there is no
16 guarantee that it will be compatible with current PaX ELF header
17 (elf_phdata->p_flags & PF_MPROTECT) or PAX_XATTR_FLAGS
18 (PAX_MPROTECT==0x04000000). Next, the PaX functionality are added to
19 the kernel gradually: one functionality per patch (eg. PAX_USERCOPY ->
20 HARDEN_USERCOPY). This means that any future solution will not be
21 compatible with current PaX support. Again: years of work and PaX
22 support ends in the trash.