From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Problems compiling xen - please help...
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:55:23
1 >That points at a faultly build system. Normally __guard &
2 >__stack_smash_handler are symbols provided to userland. For kernels the
3 >hardened specs have a rule to not add ssp. It uses !D__KERNEL__
4 >and or uses the --nostdlib rules.
5 >
6 >Chances are it needs to use -nostdlib for all the object code it
7 >creates.
8 >
9 >Now if your just lazy and dont want to fix xen itself then just switch
10 >over to a set of set of vanilla specs. Compile whatever then switch
11 >back. if that fails then include some ssp stubs to it. Same way
12 >that's done in udev.
16 Hi Ned,
17
18 thanks for the quick reply. You are loosing me a little here.
19
20 The package I am compiling is the Xen userland tools, ie package
21 "app-emulation/xen-3.0.0-r2".
22
23 I have tried changing compilers eg:
24
25 gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4-vanilla && source /etc/update
26 emerge -vp xen
27
28 This still raises the same error.
29
30 I'm going to have a peek at the udev package, but could you please
31 expand on what you mean by your other workaround suggestion please? Can
32 anyone else confirm that they CAN compile this package on hardened?
33
34 Thanks for your help
35
36 Ed W