From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Problems compiling xen - please help...
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:19:33
1 On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Ed W wrote:
4 > >That points at a faultly build system. Normally __guard &
5 > >__stack_smash_handler are symbols provided to userland. For kernels the
6 > >hardened specs have a rule to not add ssp. It uses !D__KERNEL__
7 > >and or uses the --nostdlib rules.
8 > >
9 > >Chances are it needs to use -nostdlib for all the object code it
10 > >creates.
11 > >
12 > >Now if your just lazy and dont want to fix xen itself then just switch
13 > >over to a set of set of vanilla specs. Compile whatever then switch
14 > >back. if that fails then include some ssp stubs to it. Same way
15 > >that's done in udev.
19 > Hi Ned,
20 >
21 > thanks for the quick reply. You are loosing me a little here.
22 >
23 > The package I am compiling is the Xen userland tools, ie package
24 > "app-emulation/xen-3.0.0-r2".
25 >
26 > I have tried changing compilers eg:
27 >
28 > gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.4-vanilla && source /etc/update
29 > emerge -vp xen
30
31 if that is userspace stuff (no kernel module) forget what I said about
32 -DKERNEL (typo, should have been __KERNEL__) and do source /etc/profile
33 after switching your gcc profile
34
35 Peter
36 > This still raises the same error.
37 >
38 > I'm going to have a peek at the udev package, but could you please
39 > expand on what you mean by your other workaround suggestion please? Can
40 > anyone else confirm that they CAN compile this package on hardened?
41 >
42 > Thanks for your help
43 >
44 > Ed W
48 Peter S. Mazinger <ps dot m at gmx dot net> ID: 0xA5F059F2
49 Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2
52 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list