From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened-sources + vserver
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:02:29
1 On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 17:13 +0200, Marcel Meyer wrote:
2 > Hello Natanael,
3 >
4 > Am Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2007 schrieb Natanael Copa:
5 > > I have created a patch for linux-2.6.21-hardened-r3 that adds vserver
6 > > support.
7 > > ...
8 > Thank you for your work.
9 >
10 > I'm thinking about getting some hardened servers online in a virtualised
11 > environment. How will this work with vserver?
12
13 vserver is not really virtualization. Its more process isolation and an
14 advanced chroot.
15
16 The mentioned patch will let the vserver host run a hardened kernel.
17 AFAIK, there are no other (para?)virtualization tehonologies that work
18 with grsec/pax - for the host.
19
20 > Vserver uses one kernel for
21 > all VMs, right? Doesn't that mean, the config for all VMs will be the same?
22
23 Yes. Vserver runs only one single kernel instead of one for every guest
24 (like vmware/xen/qemu/kvm)
25
26 > I cannot choose to have one tighter and one less strict VM running on the
27 > server?
28
29 No. All will run the same kernel.
30
31 > And all physical servers must have the same configuration so I can
32 > move the VMs around?
33
34 Yes. You can not move a VM live with vserver AFAIK.
35 However, since all hardware related stuff (modules etc) needs to be
36 loaded on the host, your vserver guests will not notice the hardware
37 change.
38
39 > My goal would be to have completely independant configs including netfilter
40 > config for each VM (tighter configuration for exposed VMs and a loose one
41 > for some special applications that make problems otherwise).
42
43 Run non hardened on the host and then full virtualization (vmware, xen,
44 qemu, kvm) and then you can run whatever you want on the guests/VM's. I
45 actually run my hardened vserver host in vmware.
46
47 > Thank you,
48 > Marcel
53 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list